This is a longer version of today’s 🚢 #Ship30for30 essay, which is under 300 words! Here it is:
The reason I’m sharing my Ship30 journey here is twofold:
- I’m writing about personal development topics that serve my coaching clients who read this blog. That’s YOU!
- I preach consistency! It’s part of my COMET Goals framework! I love habit streaks and consistency. Now, you can follow along and watch me be consistent in real time.
6 Myths I Used To Believe Which Held My Career Back
- I truly believed I couldn’t be creative in any field other than radio. I really thought “being on air” in radio was the only path to creativity. I didn’t realize you can be creative on any/every path.
- I’d apply for jobs thinking, “For sure, they will see my resume/experience and realize how talented I am!” Nope! It’s truly: Skills > Talent.
- I didn’t realize that I could be treated well. Without exposure to healthy company cultures and good treatment, how do you learn it’s even available? I only knew one thing: toxic corporate culture. I didn’t know all jobs weren’t that way! Pivoting to social work in 2015 changed my life.
- I believed early on that I needed outside validation to be a writer. I thought that this meant I needed a writing career in which I was paid to write for other people.
- My ego got in the way. I believed my ego, which thought it couldn’t possibly do anything but broadcasting & journalism for a career. My ego also told me my career needed to be tied to very expensive college degrees. Needless to say, that ego no longer drives this car! 🚗
- I believed “having a job any job” was respectable. This led to my staying too long in low-paying jobs which led to the poverty cycle. Yes, any job is still better than no job. But don’t unpack and move in there! Those low-paying jobs steal your time, which prevents up-skilling. Always go where you’re encouraged to grow and leave places that have a growth ceiling—or where others are threatened by your growth.
Consistency Will Do More For You Than Most Things
Today marks the 39th day in a row I have written & published my writing online (in various places, not just this blog). This venture, which I named #ContentStorm on Twitter, actually helped lead me to Ship30.
Prior to this current project, in which I publish online daily for 90 days, I was writing daily in November for NaNoWriMo.
So technically, I have written every single day since November!
This is just the 39th day in a row I’ve put writing out into the world for others to see.
I’ve seen improvements in my life from this consistency like more confidence, improved mood, pride in my work, a growing audience that gives feedback, and more happiness! Did I mention I wrote a novel in November? So don’t underestimate the power of creating consistent habits! That’s why consistency is the “C” in my COMET Goals Framework!
Need help becoming consistent and changing your habits? Maybe you have another life change in mind this year? Book an online life coaching session with me here.